Friday, December 14, 2012

Section 7 New Directions in Instructional Design and Technology


Distributed learning is any educational experience that uses many things, including technology, to enable learning. This certainly includes distance education.  I use all sorts of materials with my students and they all help enable learning but at first it was hard to think of a way that I could do any sort of distance education with my kindergarten students! I did however do something very much like distance education a month or so ago. Discovery education sent me (and I am sure every other teacher that they had email addresses for) a link to a live lesson about the solar system.  My students and I watched the live lesson and learned so much! It was a great experience for all of us! I also considered for myself the many online classes that I have taken to make myself a better teacher, whether it is at the university level or local classes offered online by my district. 

Reusable design was something totally new to me when I began reading about it.  I learned that reusability means being able to use a resource (most often reachable through a web browser) many times, many ways and for many reasons.  I think that Google™ Docs has really helped me make my lessons more reusable! I plan all of my lessons in Google™ Docs as well as create slide shows to aid in instruction and it is very easy to go back and make changes to them as necessary.  I share these documents with my colleagues and they are able to reuse them as well.  Tumblebook™ Library comes to mind as well! I use Tumblebooks.com very frequently.  This is a website with various eBooks for children.  They are relatively short and it is easy to search for a specific topic or author.  I have used these eBooks in various content areas or sometimes just for fun!


 

Using rich media in the classroom is something that most people find easy nowadays! It seems that there are many programs that are specifically designed for educational purposes.  One of the things in the chapter that really caught my eye was the section on simulations adding value to an instructional program.  It was interesting to read and find out that the students who participated in one particular math simulation learned better than their peers who did not.  In the past, I have used programs like IXL math, which is actually found online, to have students practice math problems.  I have often wondered if they were really learning from such a program.  The text mentions that learners may need scaffolding in making sense of a simulation.  This made me think that maybe I should provide manipulatives for my students to help make the transition from the concrete to abstract a little less trying.
 

Although Siri is not real artificial intelligence, this could be a great tool for my youngsters to use when wanting to research a topic.  How easy would it be for them to simply say something like “search the web for volcano pictures” and have them pop right up?  I think this would be a great help for someone who may not have the skills to type in what they are looking for.  Just having a few iPads in the classroom would be beneficial! There are so applications that are educational and would help students learn or practice skills. 

No comments:

Post a Comment